[vtk-developers] Proposed changes to vtkSetGet.h and vtkDataR eader.{h,cxx}

Prabhu Ramachandran prabhu at aero.iitm.ernet.in
Wed Apr 11 10:32:20 EDT 2001

hi,

    WEL> Please add or modify a new test that exercises the code you
    WEL> are fixing, Bill

Okay, this is going to be a long and boring thread for all of you
experts. :(

  I looked at the regression testing for the first time.  Problem
  is I dont know much Tcl so I really cant understand complex Tcl
  scripts.  So I cant claim to understand what the
  rtImage{Other}Image{Other}Examples.tcl scripts _exactly_ do.  I have
  a general idea though.

     (a) As I understand it they run all the code in all the
     examplesTcl dirs except for the files defined in noTest.  Is this
     correct?

     (b) As far as the vtkSetGet.h changes go I can easily modify
     imaging/ScalarBar.tcl to demonstrate the current problem.  It is
     just a single line of code.

     # Test the Get/Set Position
     eval scalarBar SetPosition  [scalarBar GetPosition]

     Will this do?  I know that it works, so can I commit it?

     (c) For the DataReader changes a test will require any VTK
     data file which uses some uppercase letters to name the data
     attributes.  None of the data that I have has this (including the
     data in the vtk2.0 CD).  So I dont know what to do.  I dont have
     the entire data directory either so I really cant help here.  If
     you want I can send in the datafile that actually triggered
     the problem.  I took it from the VisuSimple examples.  I could
     also write a small bit of code that will test this.  Infact I can
     send in a small data file that shows the error also (this is
     attached at the bottom of this mail).

Hmmm.  While testing I actually found another bug.  Consider the
following code.

from vtkpython import *
r = vtkStructuredPointsReader ()
r.SetFileName ("t.vtk")
print r.GetScalarsNameInFile (0)

This should print '<TEst12~!@#$%^&*()_+|-=\/,.\b\n\t>' but it prints
None.  This is because this->CharacterizeFile() has to be called
before anything else so I am going to add this too.

Since I am new to this regression testing, and I dont have the
baseline and vtkdata stuff, maybe I can send the regression test code
and data for this part to someone so that they can commit it?

Enclosed are a simple test data file and a smaller test python script.

thanks,
prabhu

--------------- t.vtk data file follows ---------------
# vtk DataFile Version 2.0
Test data for parsing
ASCII

DATASET STRUCTURED_POINTS
DIMENSIONS 1 1 1
ORIGIN  0.0 0.0 0.0
SPACING 1.0 1.0 1.0

POINT_DATA 1
SCALARS <TEst12~!@#$%^&*()_+|-=\/,.\b\n\t> float
LOOKUP_TABLE default
100
----------------- end of data ---------------------------

# t.py to test the DataReader parsing
from vtkpython import *
r = vtkStructuredPointsReader ()
r.SetFileName ("t.vtk")
print r.GetScalarsNameInFile (0)
r.SetScalarsName (r.GetScalarsNameInFile (0))
r.Update ()
print r.GetOutput ().GetScalarRange ()

expected output:
(100.0, 100.0)