[vtk-developers] 2D Clipping planes again (problem)

John Biddiscombe jbiddiscombe at skippingmouse.co.uk
Thu Apr 12 10:12:16 EDT 2001

A previous attempt to move clipping planes into AbstractMapper failed
because of dependencies in vtkPlanes which accepts a camera object (in
\graphics).

This time I'd like to move vtkPlanes from graphics to common, and remove
the function

vtkPlanes-> void SetFrustumPlanes(float aspect, vtkCamera *camera);

and replace it with

vtkPlanes-> void SetFrustumPlanes(float aspect, float planes[24]);

which can be fetched via

vtkCamera->  void GetFrustumPlanes(float aspect, float planes[24]);

So everything should work as before with the exception that users will have
to replace

planes->SetFrustumPlanes(aspect, camera);

with

float aspect, planes[24];
camera->GetFrustumPlanes(aspect, planes);
planes->SetFrustumPlanes(aspect, planes);

annoying, but straightforward and AFAIK there's just one script using this
(extractpolydata.tcl which I'll update).
The problem is that I don't know how to say the above 3 lines in tcl. How
does one say
float planes[24]
in tcl. Is it possible? If not. Do I

a) abandon the idea
b) break tcl code by implementing it and remove offending script, replacing
it with a cxx version

Another Question : Is there a way of transferring vtkPlanes from graphics
to common without losing all cvs info?

Thanks

JB