[vtk-developers] Proposal to make small enhancement to vtkSetGet

Prabhu Ramachandran prabhu at aero.iitm.ernet.in
Fri Apr 27 08:20:38 EDT 2001

    SB> I guess the Get___MinValue and Get__MaxValue would be
    SB> better. Check :

Okay, I will use Get__MinValue and Get__MaxValue instead.

    SB> Of course, do not forget to rebuild VTK first :), to check if
    SB> these new functions won't clash with any existing function
    SB> with the same signature among the 122 files using
    SB> vtkSetClampMacro.

Dont worry.  I always re-build VTK and check things before I submit
_anything_.

    SB> I guess the next step would be to include these "semantic
    SB> hints" at a higher level, directly in more meaningful types
    SB> (typedefs would be fine), for example a vtkRGBTriplet instead
    SB> of an array of float, a vtkAngleInDegrees instead of a float,
    SB> so that we might detect these types in scripting language and
    SB> provide a GUI that would allow the user to enter the value in
    SB> any unit/way (RGB/CMYK/Lab, degrees/rad), and convert it to
    SB> RGB/degrees, etc.). Of course, this fit in the famous "let's
    SB> remove the 'hints' file" process :)

I was thinking along those lines too but thought that this would
involve more work than I have time for and compromised on a simpler
solution.  However, if a few of us get together and decide to
implement this 'lets remove the hints file' idea then it might be
possible and well worth it.  I believe David also had ideas along
these lines.  What do you say?  If we are serious about this we need
to decide on how to do it and then divide the work up and do it!  What
do you think?

prabhu