[vtk-developers] New directory structured for VTK?

David Gobbi dgobbi at irus.rri.on.ca
Thu Apr 5 15:14:00 EDT 2001

Hi Ken,

It might be best if files are shuffled such that Rendering doesn't
depend on Graphics and Imaging.

If I've got this straight in my head, the Rendering directory will
consist of Mappers, Actors, Renderers/Imagers and Windows (i.e. one
directory have all the basic rendering classes for both image data
and mesh data).  The Mappers depend only on the Data and Source classes,
which are contained in Common, so Rendering doesn't need a dependency
on Imaging or Graphics.

Likewise, IO should only depend on Common, except for the few
readers/writers that handle entire scenes (like the VRMLReader)
which could be placed in Graphics

                   Common

  |                  |                  |
Filtering        Rendering           Basic IO
  |                  |                  |
      Imaging        Graphics      Patented   (+ more)
               |         (configure switch)
            Hybrid

       Local      Parallel    Extra

 - David