[vtkusers] vtk with python on mac osx 10.8 (mountain lion)

Luke allclueskey at gmail.com
Wed Jun 5 19:45:19 EDT 2013

Dear All,

I'm struggling to get vtk working with python.  Initially I tried using macports, and then from source (following these instructions: http://www.it.uu.se/edu/course/homepage/vetvis/ht10/vtk/instructions_vtk_OSX.pdf), but it's one problem after another.  Installing from source seemed to compile and install properly.  From python, however, when I call 'import vtk' I'm now getting the error:

Fatal Python error: PyThreadState_Get: no current thread
Abort trap: 6

and previously:

Fatal Python error: Interpreter not initialized (version mismatch?)
Abort trap

I *am* able to 'import vtk' if I run 'vtk-5.10.1/VTK5.10.1/bin/vtkpython', but in this case numerous other packages stop working (e.g. scipy).

I think the issue is that I have many versions of python installed (including 2.4, 2.6, 3.3, and 2.7---which I'm using; all from macports).

Can anyone offer any advice on sorting out what's pointing where?

Thanks!
Luke