ITK/Course Georgetown 2005
- 1 ITK intensive course
- 2 Preliminary program
- 3 Venue and accommodation
- 4 Registration
- 5 Nearby Hotels
ITK intensive course
Imaging Science and Information Systems (ISIS) Center
Department of Radiology
Georgetown University Medical Center,
November 8-9, 2005
ITK is an open-source software toolkit for performing registration and segmentation. ITK is implemented in C++. ITK is cross-platform, using the CMake build environment to manage the configuration process. In addition, an automated wrapping process generates interfaces between C++ and interpreted programming languages such as Tcl, Java, and Python. This enables developers to create software using a variety of programming languages. ITK's C++ implementation style is referred to as generic programming (i.e., using templated code). Such C++ templating means that the code is highly efficient, reusable, and that many software problems are discovered at compile-time, rather than at run-time during program execution. Because ITK is an open-source project, developers from around the world can use, debug, maintain, and extend the software. ITK uses a model of software development referred to as extreme programming. Extreme programming collapses the usual software creation methodology into a simultaneous and iterative process of design-implement-test-release
Objectives of the course
This intensive course aims both at giving a brief introduction to ITK for new and potential users, as well as in-depth details on advanced ITK programming for ITK developers. Moreover, a special session will be dedicated to the link between ITK and different medical image viewers. The course will include plenary presentation by specialists from Kitware Inc. (http://www.kitware.com) as well as hands-on exercises on real, practical problems in medical imaging.
The course is organised by
Dr. Kevin Cleary Imaging Science and Information Systems (ISIS) Center Department of Radiology Georgetown University Medical Center
in collaboration with Kitware Inc.
Instructors will be
- Luis Ibanez, Kitware Inc,
- Andinet Enquobahrie, Kitware Inc,
- Julien Jomier, CADDLab UNC
"Those who succeed do so because they have already acted
Those who failed do so because they act too late"
Download the Binary version of CMake 2.2
You could also download the source and build it on your own, but this is not necessary. Using the binary version should be much simpler.
Download and Build ITK
Download ITK 2.2 following the instructions in
The PowerPoint presentation can also be downloaded from the following link:
and build it in your machine. You can use any of the platforms supported by ITK.
- Microsoft Windows with Visual Studio
- Microsoft Windows with Borland Compiler
- Microsoft Windows with Intel Compiler
- Microsoft Windows with Cygwin
- Linux with Intel Compiler
- Linux with GCC 2.95, 3.0, 3.2 3.3, 3.4, or 4.0
- Macintosh with Gcc
- SGI with CC native compiler
- SGI with GCC
- SUN with CC native compiler
- SUN with GCC
Download and Build the Exercises
The source code of the hands-on exercises is contained in the following zip file.
Please download and build the exercises.
You should build these exercises before attending the course.
In this way the time of the course will be focused on studying the exercises and not in dealing with configuration problems.
Tuesday, November 8th, 2005:
Course Schedule: 9:00am to 5:00pm
- 9:00 - 9:30 Introduction (Luis Ibanez Insight-Overview Slides)
- 9:30 - 10:30 ITK Architecture (Andinet Enquobahrie: Insight-Architecture Slides)
- 10:30 - 12:00 ITK Design Patterns (Luis Ibanez: Insight-DesignPatterns Slides)
- 12:00 - 13:00 Lunch Break
- 13:00 - 14:30 Writing an ITK filter (Andinet Enquobahrie: Insight-Writing-a-New-Filter Slides)
- 14:30 - 15:00 Coffee Break
- 15:00 - 16:30 Multi-Threading (Luis Ibanez: Insight-MultiThreading Slides)
- 16:30 - 17:00 Software Process (Andinet Enquobahrie: Insight-SoftwareProcess Slides)
Wednesday, November 9th, 2005
Course Schedule: 9:00am - 5:00pm
- 9:00 - 10:30 Segmentation (Luis Ibanez: ITK Segmentation Slides)
- 10:30 - 11:00 Coffee Break
- 11:00 - 12:00 Image Registration (Luis Ibanez: ITK Image Registration Slides)
- 12:00 - 13:00 Lunch Break
- 13:00 - 15:00 Deformable Registration (Luis Ibanez)
- 15:30 - 16:00 Coffee Break
- 16:00 - 17:00 Spatial Objects and Models (Julien Jomier )
This is material to be presented on request, or if time permits.
- Using ITK with VTK (Luis Ibanez: ITK + VTK Slides)
Venue and accommodation
The course will be held at Georgetown University in Washington DC.
ISIS Center Department of Radiology, Georgetown University Medical Center
2115 Wisconsin Avenue NW, Suite 603 Washington, DC 20057 Tel: (202) 687-5990 Fax: (202) 784-3479
- Space is limited therefore early registration is advised.
- Participants must bring their own laptop computer as it is a hands-on course.
- All profits from this course will go to the Insight Software Consortium to support the open source movement.
For questions and registration please contact Katherine Lawyer at email@example.com or 202-687-7193.
Hotel List (listed by prices)
Holiday Inn 2101 Wisconsin Ave. N.W. Washington, DC 20007 1-202-338-4600 $156.66 a night http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/hi/1/en/hd/wasgt?irs=y
Wyndham Washington, DC 1400 M Street, Nw Washington, DC 20005 (202) 429-1700 $184 a night (offer a AAA discount) http://www.wyndham.com/hotels/DCAHT/main.wnt
Westin Grand 2350 M Street NW Washington DC 20037 202-429-0100 $219 a night http://www.starwoodhotels.com/westin/search/hotel_detail.html?requestedChainCode=WI&requestedAffiliationCode=WI&goToRooms=yes&lengthOfStay=1&numberOfRooms=1&numberOfAdults=1&arrivalDate=2005-09-28&departureDate=2005-09-29&rpoi=&propertyID=1013&rcdi=&linkbrand=&fromSearch=22XX&sherlockRatePlanID=&sherlockMiniRate=&sherlockRoomType=&sherlockBedType=&iATANumber=&corporateAccountNumber=&propertyDistance=&propertyDistanceInUnits=&requestType=page&page=&ratePlanName=&roomOccupancyTotal=1
Westin Embassy Road 2100 Mass Ave NW Washington DC 20008 (202) 293-2100 $229 a night http://www.starwoodhotels.com/westin/search/hotel_detail.html?requestedChainCode=WI&requestedAffiliationCode=WI&goToRooms=yes&lengthOfStay=3&numberOfRooms=1&numberOfAdults=1&arrivalDate=2005-11-09&departureDate=2005-11-12&rpoi=&propertyID=245&rcdi=&linkbrand=&fromSearch=22XX&sherlockRatePlanID=&sherlockMiniRate=&sherlockRoomType=&sherlockBedType=&iATANumber=&corporateAccountNumber=&propertyDistance=&propertyDistanceInUnits=&requestType=page&page=&ratePlanName=&roomOccupancyTotal=1
Marriott Georgetown University Conference Center 3800 Reservoir Road Northwest Washington, DC 20057 1-202-687-3200 $259 a night for the 9th and 10th, 149 a night for the 11th http://marriott.com/property/propertypage.mi?marshaCode=WASGU
The Georgetown Inn 1310 Wisconsin Avenue. N.W. Washington, DC 20007 (202) 424-2979 $235.67 a night
The Fairmont Washington 2401 M Street Washington, DC 20007 (202) 429-2400 $499 a night http://www.fairmont.com/washington/
Often hotels near the Key Bridge are significantly less expensive, so I also included a list of those as well:
Best Western Key Bridge 1850 North Fort Myer Drive, Arlington, VA 22219 (703)522-0400 $119.00 per night http://book.bestwestern.com/bestwestern/productInfo.do;jsessionid=251A0AE051D6E8759F4E134D2466A25A?propertyCode=47096
Holiday Inn Rosslyn @Key Bridge, Va 1900 N. Fort Myer Dr., Arlington, VA 22209 1-703-8072000 153.28 a night http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/hi/1/en/hd/waswp?irs=y