[vtk-developers] Re: [vtkusers] Useless triangulation in unstructured grid rendering

John Biddiscombe biddisco at cscs.ch
Wed Oct 11 03:49:50 EDT 2006

John
> As you mentioned, vtkMergeFilter or vtkMergeDataObjectFilter >
> vtkAssignAttribute already allow you to separate the geometry and
> attribute data. So, is it worth the additional complexity and effort of
> adding a new information key for this purpose?
The trouble is that these filters must be instantiated by the user - and
the user needs to "know" in advance that the pipeline has geometry
unchanging. Adding an information key would allow filters which can take
advantage of it to bypass needless geometry recalculations
(clip/cut/surface extraction/normal generation/many more etc)
automatically without the user necessarily knowing that the geometry is
fixed. Only the object generating the data need do anything.

It's a possibility I'd like to consider.

JB

--
John Biddiscombe,                            email:biddisco @ cscs.ch
http://www.cscs.ch/about/BJohn.php