[vtkusers] Uninstalled Library?

Kevin H. Hobbs kevin.hobbs.1 at ohiou.edu
Mon Dec 19 15:29:47 EST 2005

On Wed, 2005-12-14 at 11:45 -0500, Kevin H. Hobbs wrote:
> I just tried to build the InsightApplications from CVS and got an error
> that seems to come from a VTK library that was not installed. VTK and
> ITK were also built from CVS this week.
>
> The first few lines of the error are :
>
>  CMake Error: Error in cmake code at
>  /opt/vtk/lib/vtk-5.1/CMake/vtkLoadCMakeExtensions.cmake:7:
>  LOAD_COMMAND Attempt to load command failed from file : libcmVTK_WRAP_TCL2...so
>
>  CMake Error: Error in cmake code at
>  /opt/vtk/lib/vtk-5.1/UseVTK.cmake:35:
>  A command failed during the invocation of macro
>  "VTK_LOAD_SINGLE_CMAKE_EXTENSION".
>
> I looked for the library and I only found a copy in the build tree.
>
> [kevin at gargon InsightApplications]$ locate libcmVTK_WRAP_TCL2.so
> /home/kevin/kitware/VTK_Build/CMake/libcmVTK_WRAP_TCL2.so
>
> I copied every VTK_Build/CMake/libcmVTK_*.so
> to /opt/vtk/lib/vtk-5.1/CMake/ and the error goes away.

I now get a different link error. The library was installed but it's
in /opt/vtk/lib/python2.4/site-packages/vtk/. Does the Insight
Application build process not know how to find it?  Should I add this
directory to some environment variable?  Making symbolic links
in /opt/vtk/lib/ gets me passed the error.

[kevin at gargon InsightApplications_BUILD]$ make
Linking CXX shared module _ConnectVTKITKPython.so
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lvtkCommonPython
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[2]: *** [ConnectVTKITK/_ConnectVTKITKPython.so] Error 1
make[1]: *** [ConnectVTKITK/CMakeFiles/_ConnectVTKITKPython.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [all] Error 2